OBJECT ESSAY COMPETITION EXTENSION
The date for submission has been extended to 15th June 2020.
First Prize £400.00. Second Prize £200.00
This competition is open to young women aged 17 – 30.
We hope to inspire and encourage young women to develop an interest in feminist theory and activism. Our topic this year is surrogacy – the essay title is “How do ‘altruistic’ and commercial surrogacy affect the rights of women and children?” We are looking for well researched, evidenced-based essays with a feminist perspective (<6000 words plus references).
The winner will be invited to OBJECT’S deferred AGM and Surrogacy conference in the autumn and receive £400 (runner-up £200) with the opportunity to do an internship with OBJECT.
The winning essays will be published on our website. The winner will also be invited to OBJECT’s AGM held in London in June 2020 to receive their prize from a well-known feminist academic or campaigner. Winners will also be offered the opportunity to do a research internship with OBJECT.
Essay Title: How do ‘altruistic’ and commercial surrogacy affect the rights of women and children?”
- Open to women aged 17 – 30 (please include scanned ID with your submission as proof of age).
- Essay must be evidence-based, fully referenced with a wide and deep focus and a feminist approach.
- Up to 6000 words plus references.
- Submit your essay via email to email@example.com – please include “Essay Prize” in the email title.
- Closing date 15th June 2020.
- the winner will be invited to OBJECT’S deferred AGM and Surrogacy conference in the autumn
- Kajsa Ekis Ekman. (2013). Being and Being Bought: Prostitution, Surrogacy and the Split Self
- Renate Klein. (2017). Surrogacy: A Human Rights Violation.
- Jennifer Lahl, Melinda Tankard Reist & Renate Klein. (eds.). (2019). Broken Bonds: Surrogate Mothers Speak Out
- OBJECT’s summary page on Surrogacy as one of our 5 Key Issues.
- Stop Surrogacy Now – An international coalition of campaigners against surrogacy.
- The Center for Bioethics and Culture Network – Includes information on surrogacy and egg donation.
We look forward to reading your entries! Good luck!